Thursday, April 3, 2008

Second Life Machinima

Machinima is a new medium in between film making and gaming. It is more cost effective than film making for film makers and students, but can be difficult to do. Anyone can use this new form of electronic art to create media, which is a great positive aspect, but with more amateurs using it, the quality of content goes down greatly. One example of machinima is the virtual world of Second Life where individuals go and create an avatar, or alter ego of sorts and meet and chat with other "second lifers." Until recently I had no idea such a world existed and that so many people are involved in it. I have to say, I find it somewhat disturbing. I agree completely that it creates alienation and a dis-association with real life and more important things going on in the world. Get out, make friends, real- life ones! I know this sounds harsh and I do understand how maybe it is easier for someone who finds it difficult to make friends for whatever reason, to make them anonymously, but i don't think it's very healthy. It's all pretty bizarre to me.

No comments: